Home >> Chemicals Listing >> hot product list by Z  

Zinc sulfide (1314-98-3)

Identification
Name:Zinc sulfide
Synonyms:LitoponeL;Pigment Black 17;Pigment White 7;RAK-LC;RAK-S;Sachtolith;Sachtolith HD;Sachtolith L;ZNI 08PB;Zinc monosulfide;zinc sulphide;Albalith;C.I. 77975;C.I. Pigment Black 17;C.I. Pigment White7;Cleartran;FV 40-1;HD-S;Irtran 2;KV 2;
CAS:1314-98-3
EINECS: 215-251-3
Molecular Formula: ZnS
Molecular Weight: 97.47
InChI: InChI=1/S.Zn/rSZn/c1-2
Molecular Structure: (ZnS) LitoponeL;Pigment Black 17;Pigment White 7;RAK-LC;RAK-S;Sachtolith;Sachtolith HD;Sachtolith L;ZNI 08...
Properties
Stability:Stable. May react with water to give toxic hydrogen sulfide. Incompatible with acids, strong oxidizing agents. Air and moisture sensitive.
Solubility:Insol in alkalies; sol in dil mineral acids
0.00069 g/100 cc water at 18 deg C (Alpha); 0.00065 g/100 cc water at 18 deg C (Beta)
Appearance:white to yellow powder, clear to yellow crystals
Specification:

Zinc sulfide , its cas register number is 1314-98-3. It also can be called C.I. Pigment White 7 ; Cleartran ; and Zinc monosulfide . It is typically encountered in the more stable cubic form, known also as zinc blende or sphalerite. The first time its phosphorescence was observed by the French chemist Théodore Sidot in 1866. It is hazardous, so the first aid measures and others should be known. Such as: When on the skin: first, should flush skin with plenty of water immediately for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing. Secondly, get medical aid. Or in the eyes: Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Then get medical aid soon. While, it's inhaled: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. Give artificial respiration while not breathing. When breathing is difficult, give oxygen. And as soon as to get medical aid. Then you have the ingesting of the product: Wash mouth out with water, and get medical aid immediately. Notes to physician: Treat supportively and symptomatically.
In addition, Zinc sulfide (CAS NO.1314-98-3) could be stable under normal temperatures and pressures. It is not compatible with strong oxidizing agents, and you must not take it with incompatible materials. And also prevent it to broken down into hazardous decomposition products: Oxides of sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, zinc oxides.

Report:

Reported in EPA TSCA Inventory.

Color: Exists in two crystalline forms, alpha (wurtzite) and beta (sphalerite)
White hexagonal crystals /wurtzite/
Gray-white cubic crystals /sphalerite/
White to grayish-white or yellowish powder colorless cubic crystals
Safety Data