Home >> Chemicals Listing >> hot product list by C  

Copper(I) chloride (7758-89-6)

Identification
Name:Copper(I) chloride
Synonyms:cuprous chloride solution; Copperchloridelightgraypowder; Cuprous chloride; COPPER(I)CHLORIDE; Copperchlorideanhydrous; Copper(I) chloride solution
CAS:7758-89-6
EINECS: 231-842-9
Molecular Formula: CuCl
Molecular Weight: 99
InChI: InChI=1/ClH.Cu/h1H;/q;+1/p-1
Molecular Structure: (CuCl) cuprous chloride solution; Copperchloridelightgraypowder; Cuprous chloride; COPPER(I)CHLORIDE; Coppe...
Properties
Transport:UN 1789/2802
Density:4.14
Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, potassium, water. Air, light and moisture sensitive.
Refractive index:1.93
Solubility:Incompatible with oxidizing agents, potassium, water. Air, light and moisture sensitive
Appearance:white to greyish crystalline powder
Specification:

?Copper(I) Chloride (CAS NO.7758-89-6) commonly called cuprous chloride, is the lower chloride of copper, with the formula CuCl. This colorless solid is a versatile precursor to other copper compounds, including some of commercial significance. It occurs naturally as the rare mineral nantokite. Unlike other first-row transition metal halides, it forms stable complexes with carbon monoxide. It crystallizes in a diamondoid motif, reflecting the tendency of copper(I) to form tetrahedral complexes.
Although CuCl is insoluble in water, it dissolves in aqueous solutions containing suitable donor molecules. It forms complexes with halide ions, for example forming H3O+ CuCl2- with concentrated hydrochloric acid. It also dissolves in solutions containing CN-, S2O32-, and NH3 to give complexes.
Solutions of CuCl in HCl or NH3 absorb carbon monoxide to form colourless complexes such as the chloride-bridged dimer [CuCl(CO)]2. The same hydrochloric acid solutions also react with acetylene gas to form [CuCl(C2H2)]. Ammoniacal solutions of CuCl react with acetylenes to form the explosive copper(I) acetylide. Complexes of CuCl with alkenes can be prepared by reduction of CuCl2 by sulfur dioxide in the presence of the alkene in alcohol solution. Complexes with dienes such as 1,5-cyclooctadiene are particularly stable:

Report:

Copper and its compounds are on the Community Right-To-Know List. Reported in EPA TSCA Inventory. EPA Genetic Toxicology Program.

Packinggroup: III
Sensitive: Air & Moisture Sensitive
Safety Data
Hazard Symbols Xn:Harmful